Our History

Carey House Museum

Christopher Columbus Shaw (1824-1913) was the founder and first president of the Milford Historical and Genealogical Society (later becoming the Milford Historical Society). The society was started in 1895 and in the early years, the artifacts of the Milford Historical Society were stored in member's attics and at the town Library. In June of 1976, local resident Blanche Carey deeded her property and building (The Carey House) located at 6 Union Street in Milford to the Historical Society. The Carey house has been our home and museum ever since.