These iron railings that make up a new fence at the Carey House Museum are a huge part of Milford’s history. They were installed on the double stone-arch bridge downtown around 1893. When the bridge was widened in 1931, they were removed and eventually made their way to the Lincoln Street bridge that spans Great Brook. That bridge was rebuilt in 1992 and the railing were removed in favor of state issued guard railings. For a number of years the historic railings have sat behind the Carey House Barn.
Thanks to efforts by a number of people at the Historical Society, the Milford Department of Public Works, The Arthur L. Keyes Memorial Trust, The Kaley Foundation, Granite State Media Blasting, and The Fence Guy, the bridge rails have been sand blasted and painted to make up a beautiful fence at the Carey House Museum.